Monday, December 5, 2011

Firefighter's Ball and Uniktali Trail

We went to the 13th Annual Unalaska Firefighter's Ball this weekend.  It is a big deal to the local people.  It is a benefit for the fire department, but everyone gets really excited about it because it is basically the only event during the year that people dress up for.  (We are a fishing community after all, so jeans and sweaters are normal attire.)  We put on some fancy clothes and went and had a great time with the folks in our community.

(The pictures came out a little grainy for some reason.)


This is all the women at our table.  We are all affiliated with the clinic.  We enjoyed a great dinner, drinks, and some dancing.


I apparently didn't get any pictures of Steve and I standing up, but trust me, our bottom half looked just as fancy as our top half did.  Haha!  I did find this cute picture of us though...


The morning after the party we woke up to some snow on the ground.  It was beautiful outside with a light dusting of snow covering our little town.  The Ounalashkan's have over 50 words for "snow." (I guess I should learn at least one of them!) This picture was taken just before 10am when the sun started coming up.


 We hiked Uniktali trail with my friend Laura and her family.  It was a gorgeous day for a hike.  The sun was actually shining in Dutch Harbor!


We had to cross a few creeks that were challenging since the water was high with the recent snow we've had.



We hiked to a lake that looked over Uniktali Bay, but decided to turn around at that point due to time and a storm coming in.  The lake is behind us in this photo.


I get very excited when the sun is out and there is actually blue sky.  I try to soak it all in.



It was a great way to spend a Sunday.  We only had one mishap - I slipped on some ice and ended up flat on my back.  Laura went down with me but managed to catch herself so she landed on her knee.  Luckily Steve didn't catch a picture of it :)  Besides a headache and a bruised ego, I was fine. 


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this. The whole family is following your blog. I'm so glad you guys are enjoying it. Keep on blogging. What are your plans for Christmas?

    Love, Dad and me

    ReplyDelete